Saturday, January 19, 2013

Viginia Blues...

There is a phenomenon (if you want to call it that) when hiking the Appalachian Trail that happens to a lot of hikers in the state of VA. Virginia is the longest hike state on the trail and it's where the majority of the hikers who drop out leave the trail. They call this The Virginia Blues. If your goal is to get from one state line to the next, this makes sense to me. But if you're out there to enjoy each step, prove to yourself you can finish this monumental undertaking, get closer to yourself or your higher power, then what do state lines have to do with anything?

Today I find myself with the Virginia Blues of a different kind. I'm stuck inside this weekend doing school work, trying to save virtual lives on an interactive website where I have to run codes, and try to get into the groove of the final semester of nursing school. But outside, the sun is shining, it's 45 degrees and in my heart, it's May and I'm hiking in Virginia. I find myself missing a trail I've never stepped foot on yet. Maybe I need to lay off the AT books and journals until graduation. Everything in me wants to hit the trail THIS March, not four years from now. Impossible yet the desire is there.

So for now, I'll have to live vicariously through Jordana and hope my mind doesn't wander to the trail while I'm giving virtual chest compressions to a patient who doesn't exist. I have to say, even though it's not real, I get such anxiety doing those drills!!

"The mountains call and I must go." -John Muir

No comments:

Post a Comment